Working and skill training related issues
- Publication Data ：
- Last updated：2019-10-28
- Count Views：52
Is it required for inmates to work in a correctional facility? What works are available for them?
- The works in prisons is set up to train up inmates’ occupational skills, build uptheir working habits, and to cultivate their mind. Except for those who are excluded by law, ill, due to security concerns, or due to other correctional reasons, all other inmates should work. As for defendants, they can work by their wills. As for juvenile inmates, students, inmates who are receiving observation and rehabilitation or drug abuser treatment and the like, they can participate in the appropriate works or received skill training according to their conditions and needs.
- There are 3 types of works here: self-operating work, contract manufacture work and equal-value work:
- Self-operating work is the skillful and profitable works that is developed based on correctional facilities’ characteristics. This business is run based on the concept of self-sufficient and continuous development, including purchasing materials, instruments, manufacture and sales.
- Contract manufacture work is the manufacture contracts or OEM (original equipment manufacturer) works that correctional facilities receive from theother companies. Usually this type of works is called contract works.
- Equal-value work is the work that facilitate facilities’ daily operation and sanitary. Inmates will help to cook, clean, care-giving and other routine labor work within facilities.
Is there any salary for inmates' works? Are they free to allocate their salaries?
- There is salary for every inmate who participate in any work (including self-operating work, contract manufacture work and equal work) monthly. The salaries are calculated based on their work incomes, working attitudes and working performance.
- Inmates can apply salaries to the facilities monthly in order to purchase food and nutrition. As for the inmates of level 4, level 3, level 2 and level 1, they can freely allocate one fifth, one fourth, one third and half of their monthly salaries respectively.
- As for the unusable part of the salary, correctional facilities will hold it for saving.It will be returned to inmates when they are released in order to help them to adapt to the society.